Friday, September 9, 2011

Easy Breakfast Ideas for Busy Moms

After being out on maternity leave for the last 3 months, I know going back to work next month is going to be extremely difficult.  I am going to spend the next few weeks preparing and finding creative ways to maximize my time once I go back to work.  Because my husband and I have to be at work no later than 7 and we now have 2 children to get ready for school, I need to have a quick and efficient morning routine.  One way that I can do that is by having easy, quick breakfast options available for myself and my husband.  My daughter usually eats a snack before she leaves and eats her breakfast at school, but all of these options would be great for kids, as well.  While I am not opposed to packaged food, I do like to have some homemade options available as well.  Some of the options I am planning to have available include:
  • applesauce bread--prepare ahead of time and freeze.  This is delicious with cinnamon butter
  • muffins--prepare ahead of time and freeze.  I love these caramel apple muffins and strawberry muffins with fresh strawberry butter.
  • pancakes and waffles--prepare a double batch on weekends and freeze the leftovers.  These are great to pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast.
  • freezer friendly breakfast burritos--these are delicious!  We love bacon, ham, eggs and cheese in ours!
  • oatmeal breakfast bars--I love to have these on hand in the freezer.  I pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds and they are delicious and filling!
  • trail mix--I love the Emerald Breakfast on the Go! trail mix packages but you could easily make your own.  Simply mix together nuts, dried fruits, raisins, chocolate chips or whatever else you would enjoy.  Package in snack size baggies for a grab and go breakfast.
  • mini apple pies--why not?  These are tastier and probably better for you than Pop-Tarts or Toaster Streudels.
  • yogurt and fruit--I like to pre-chop my fruit early in the week or the night before and pop it into individual plastic containers.
  • apple spice bars--another meal to pre-bake and freeze.  Pop in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds to warm.
  • cinnamon toast--toast bread, spread butter on top and sprinkle with cinnamon.
  • smoothies--I usually have pre-made smoothie bags in the freezer.  The bags include frozen fruit and yogurt that has been frozen in ice cube trays.  Toss the contents of the smoothie bag in the blender or Magic Bullet, add milk and blend to desired consistency.  I love strawberries, bananas and peaches in my smoothies.
  • Carnation Instant Breakfast--my doctor recommended this while I was pregnant and not gaining weight.  My favorite is the chocolate flavor in the blender with peanut butter and banana.  This is a very filling drinkable breakfast.
What are your go to quick and easy breakfast ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment