Friday, October 14, 2011

Homemade Applesauce

Wow, if I knew how easy it was to make homemade applesauce, I would have been doing this a LONG time ago.  I love to use applesauce in place of oil in recipes to save on fat and calories (plus, I think it makes quick bread more moist).  My daughter also loves applesauce, so I'm happy to have a stash of this in the freezer now.

Easy peasy!

Start by peeling and coring all of your apples.  I used about 12 medium size apples for this batch.

Toss all of your apples in a stockpot. I like to put some lemon juice in mine to keep them from browning but you don't have to do this.

Add approximately 1/2-1 cup of water to pot and boil until tender.  My family prefers unsweetened applesauce but you could add sugar to taste.  Cinnamon is also a nice addition.  You can even add cinnamon red hot candy to make it a pretty pink color.  Make sure your water does not completely evaporate or you will end up with burned apples on the bottom (ask me how I know this).
Store in a freezer safe container and pop into the freezer to pull out when you're ready to use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment